Visit our Contributors' Pages:
Visit Family Christmas Online Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com Click to Sign Up for Maria Cudequest's Collectibles Blog
Visit Family Christmas Online
Click to visit Fred's Noel-Kat store.
Click to return to the Old Christmas Tree Lights Table of Contents Page

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 pm
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 pm
Note: - This site has just been moved to a new server with slightly different software. We've tried to make certain that nothing important has been lost, but if you notice any broken links or other issues, please let us know as soon as possible by using the contact page.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

A reader writes:

I have a 9-piece Thomas Kinkade "Hawthorne Village" set, all of which have their Certificates of Authenticity, only one has been displayed, 6 have never been out of their boxes, and 2 boxes have never even been opened. Please tell me where I go to find the current value of this set. I have tried E-Bay, but none of those offered have the same status as mine, i.e., all of them have been opened and removed from their boxes. I also went on the Bradford Exchange website, but my set is from 2001-2002, and none of theirs go back that far--at least as far as I could determine. Can you help? Thanks.

----Our Reply-------Please log in and add your own---------

Unfortunately it's hard to know the value of these things without putting them on the market and hoping for a bidding war. There is no "blue book" for them, and if there was, I wouldn't trust it, as values change by location, time of year, consumer confidence, and a dozen other factors that have nothing to do with the piece itself.

For a very long description of what I just said, check out our article: How Much is My Collectible Worth?

http://www.familychristmasonline.com/mu ... tibles.htm

If the set you have is still being sold, then the maximum value is whatever the individual pieces are selling for now, times the number of piece.

The minimum value would be 25% to 33% of that - if you sell to a shop owner, that's what they'll offer you since they need to make a profit and pay their expenses, and have room to offer a discount if the thing doesn't sell at all.

If it's no longer being sold, looking on eBay for similar sets is a good way to get a general idea. Look at what the set actually sold for, not what they're listing.

The rarest sets go for more, and I don't think you have one of those. By the way, Hawthorne Village has produced several Thomas Kinkade villages. Lamplight Village is their most common. Your village should have another name besides Hawthorne village. That would help me figure out if you have one of the more popular sets.

If your set is still sealed in the box, you might could add 20-40% to that, but that is only important to a REAL avid collector. Most people - even most collectors - still buy these to display them, so the "sealed-in-a-box" factor is not quite as important as you might think.

That said, every time I bought a Thomas Kinkade building from eBay SOMETHING was broken off it, even though it was advertised as "new in the box," so a "serious" fan with experience buying over the internet might be willing to pay more. Unfortunately, that's a small market, and the folks who might be interested may already have those pieces. :-(

Sorry I can't be more specific. Hope this gets you started at least - Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

The reader writes:

Paul,

Thank you so much for your expeditious response to my questions. On the C.O.A. that I have available (from the one piece that was displayed), it reads, "from Thomas Kinkade's Village Christmas collection." I do not see anything that says "Lamplight Village", so is mine different from it? I know that I have many questions regarding this, but I am (obviously) a quite amateur-ish 'collector' and am just trying to get a "true' value of it.
Thanks again for your help.

--------Our Response-----------

Is it this one?

http://www.bradfordexchange.com/product ... llage.html

If so, it will be worth less than the new price of one unit * the number of units. Maybe 2/3 list value to a collector, 1/3 list value to a dealer.

When the original becomes unavailable, the value will drop a little more, then start picking up. That said, I don't think you'll be sending your kids to college on the value of the set. Hope you're not disappointed - Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

The reader replies:

That appears to be the one, but I can't tell what year those online were released. Does it make a difference since mine are 12-13 years old, never been out of the box, and all have their C.O.A.'s? Also, how do I contact a collector or dealer? Sorry for all the questions (again!)

----------Our Reply---------------

The year of manufacture doesn't really make a difference on these. To find a potential vendor, you might try looking on Craig's list or check out area antiques stores to find folks that carry this sort of thing. As I mentioned, though, you'll only get 25%-33% of the end value of the things from an antiques dealer. You could try listing them on Craigs list at, say 2/3 or 3/4 the list value and see if you get any nibbles. If that doesn't work drop the price a little and try again. But don't drop it below your comfort zone, or let anybody low-ball you . . . .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

The reader replies:

Thanks for all of your knowledge and assistance, Paul, I'll just 'raise it up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes.'

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

A reader writes:

My Wife was sort of a collector of Hawthorne Villages,Mayberry RFD,Gone with the wind etc,She passed away recently I have all her collectibles in a storage locker.Do you have any ideas what i can do with this collection.Thank you

------------------------------------

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss.
I have an artlcle that touches on your question here:

https://familygardentrains.com/blog_lik ... trains.htm

It deals most specifically with train collections, but the principles apply.

The Mayberry RFD collection and several others sold out quickly and might be in relatively high demand. I would recommend inventorying each set to be sure of what you have.

Then watch ebay pages like the following to see if the same sets come up. Put a "watch" on them so you can see what they sell for - that will give you some idea. Some people charge outrageous amounts, but never actually sell anything.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Villages-House ... ne+village

If you decide to sell on eBay, take a lot of good digital photos of each piece. If you would rather sell the whole collection, send me the inventory and I'll post the list for you and see if you get any interest.

Or let me know if you have any additional questions,

Paul Race
racep@donet.com
FamilyChristmasOnline.com